The Brewery in Tuborg Harbour was built in 1903, designed by the architect, Henri Glæsel. The Brewery was built in two stages and, since 1926, has been regularly modernised with reconstructions and extensions. Glæsel’s most famous work is the Magasin department store on Kongens Nytorv. Tuborg’s buildings have always been designed by the country’s best architects. For example, Anton Rosen designed the former administration building, located next to the Brewery building.
The last time beer was brewed in the old copper cauldrons was in 1996. In 2005, Carlsberg Ejendomme sold the Brewery to Oskar Jensen Gruppen A/S, who would refurbish and fit out the heritage building for office purposes.
The goal of Vilhelm Lauritzen Architects’ refurbishment of the actual Brewery was to preserve and enhance the feeling of space and light. A modern extension was also added to the northern end wall containing the ‘heavy’ installations such as a lift, a staircase, toilets, and meeting rooms with mechanical ventilation.
The north façade and, to a lesser extent, the east façade were marred by the demolition of extensions. Accordingly, a reversal of these façades was unrealistic, so placing the extension on the north façade solved that issue.
The extension has a cube-like, minimalist appearance. It was not the intention to copy the idiom and materiality of the existing building but to establish something next to it and, via a contemporary, understated idiom, to highlight the contrast between new and old. In its size and geometry, the extension is smaller than the large Brewery and comes across as – what it was intended to be – an extension. With its look and shape, the extension is clearly an independent building.
With the Brewery’s heavy brick and granite façades, it comes across as a large, solid, impressive edifice with large-scale proportions combined with numerous, smaller-scale details, which together make the building seem even bigger. That is why, in architectural terms, it was important for the extension to hold its own next to the Brewery, and the proportions of the façades were crucial for the extension’s interaction with the Brewery. Consequently, the façade of the building is divided into a criss-cross pattern with large proportions, which can stand up to the large vertical window sections of the Brewery. This invests the ‘little’ extension with architectural strength up against the Brewery.
The extension is made of black-painted steel profiles and large glass sections. The building is protected from sunlight by horizontal slats, which further help to tone down the building on the Strandvejen side.
The internal stairs and steel pillars were renovated and renewed. Along with the edges of the floors, they were painted in pink, graphite grey and white.